Quest- As defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary
- a journey made in search of something
- a long and difficult effort to find or do something
After some soul searching, I realized that in order to feel truly fulfilled in life I needed to have a bigger purpose. My quests are journeys that will bring me closer to discovering this purpose. Life is more than the small square footage in which we live, work and play. There is a whole world to discover, infinite knowledge to acquire and endless worthy causes to support. These are my quests.
Run a marathon by August 2015
This quest is one of the reasons I started this blog. I started by using the app Couch to 5km and this will be my Couch to Marathon year and half quest. This will be the first of many marathons.
Meet face to face the influential people whose work has helped shaped my journey.
Chris Guillebeau -this one I have recently accomplished! Met him at a book signing in October 2014. Chris’s books (see list below) helped to open my eyes and see that anything is possible. Anyone can make a difference. Anyone can improve their life. Follow your passions and the rest will follow.
Tony Robbins -I have attended one of his seminars before and will be attending another in March 2015. Tony is probably my biggest motivator for everything in life. His work is beyond life changing.
Read 100 life changing, self reflective and development books by October 2015.
This is a quest that I believe will keep me focused on my goals, give me inspiration and encourage me to open my mind to the endless possibilities of life. Below is my current tally, it will be updated each time I finish another book. In order to accomplish this quest, I technically need to read aprox 8.5 books a month. Some months are leaner than others depending on the time of year and the hustle and bustle of life. However, I love to read and am certain that I will achieve this goal. I look forward to the knowledge I will gain from these books.
- Born to Run – Chris McDougall
- The Happiness of Pursuit -Chris Guillebeau
- The Art of Non-Conformity -Chris Guillebeau
- The $100 Start Up -Chris Guillebeau
- I Am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
- Long Walk to Freedom -Nelson Mandela
- Awaken the Giant Within -Anthony Robbins
- Running Like a Girl -Alexandra Heminsley
- What I Know For Sure -Oprah Winfrey
- The Power of Focus -Les Hewitt, Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen
- 8 Minute Meditation -Victor Davich
- The Present -Spencer Johnson
- Who Moved my Cheese? -Spencer Johnson
- Crucial Conversations -Patterson, Grenny, McMillian, Switzler
- The Happiness Project -Gretchen Rubin
- Family, Kids & Money -Kevin O’Leary
Support a social cause that is making an immediate and visible difference in the lives of others.
Currently my business has a Charity of the Month program. In this program, we choose a new charity and encourage our clients, employees and community to donate. This program not only is helping local charities but we have now expanded to global ones as well. My goal is to find one that strikes a particular chord with me so that I can support it in a bigger way while running marathons.
These quests will bring me closer to being the best version of myself that I can be. I believe in always looking at the bigger picture, the next chapter, the reasons behind the questions. This is my journey and these quests will help me to get there.
What’s your journey?